Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Fun with cheap (and not as cheap) art supplies

After taking Alisa Burke's Sketchbook Delight class, I became enamored with the idea of painting with water soluble markers. I stocked up on every cheap set I could get my hands on and did a little playing. After this class, I also decided to try some different brands of cheap watercolor paints, like Crayola and SimplyArt. The Crayola watercolors are remarkably smooth and richly pigmented. I really loved them.  Although I felt the class was for absolute beginners, and I am more out of practice intermediate, I did get great tips on cheap supplies and new ways to play with them.

I also invested in some watercolor crayons and Neocolor IIs, which I have been coveting for some time. They are also very fun to work with. I plan on expanding my collection of Neocolors over time, as Dick Blick has open stock reasonably priced. I would love a set, but they are just too expensive for me to do them that way.  

Cheap markers

Cheap watercolors with crayon resist

More crayon resist

Staedtler watercolor crayons


Cheap watercolors and crayon resist

Markers
I am SO proud of this! I had a page scuffed up with walnut ink, and drew over it with Neolor IIs and Staedtler watercolor crayons.

Crayola watercolors

No comments:

Post a Comment