Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Journal Covers-a-Go-Go

In a previous post, I chronicled my exploits cutting stencils, fairly complicated, fiddly stencils. Whenever I start doing a project, I tend to go for the most complicated thing possible to start, then I work my way to the easy stuff.  True to form, I did that with stencils. The easiest stencils you can made are the ones where you take a strip of thin cardboard from some packaging, fold it in half, and cut shapes in it. Well, maybe even cheaper is to take those same strips of cardboard and punch holes out of it with a paper punch. To do that, you need to make sure your cardboard, or whatever you use, is not too thick. Here is a sampling of the ones I made:





I used these stencils in a couple of different ways to create two very different, distinctive journal covers. For the first, I traced the designs down the page, painted them with craft paint, then did outlining and marking with technical pens.


I like that it looks like a woodcut from the 1950s or '60s.
Looks even better close up!
The other way I used the stencils was to just go crazy with a few colors of paint and a makeup wedge. I just pounced and pounced until I felt I was done, and then I pounced a little bit more. Then, I took a stencil I hadn't been using (the stars) and colored in the shapes with a white gelly roll pen. I almost forgot, I traced the circles in Inktense Pencils to try to give more contrast. I am not sure it was that successful, but it doesn't really take anything away from the page.


I am finding these stencils of simple shapes very versatile. There will definitely be more to come in the future. They can be used in an overall design, as an accent, or as texture. They can be used with paint, pencils, markers, dabbers, sponges, pastels, or anything else you have laying around. Ad the best thing about it is that you are using materials that are readily available, no extra purchases necessary. And don't forget you are recycling!

One more cover to add, but this was done freehand.

Yes, this was done on materials I received from the doctor before my sinus surgery. If you have any kind of paper, you have a journal surface!

No comments:

Post a Comment